Saturday, January 8, 2011

Winter Wonderland

All the creatures who have been hiding the last little while showed up in a big way today!  When I left the house this morning it was dark, with visibility at about 20 feet.  My favourite time to shoot!  Nothing makes me happier than to go shooting in snowy weather - last time it snowed this much I saw three different owl species in one day!

With the Jeep in 4x4, and crawling at 25 km/hr, I was off on another adventure!

Barred Owl in the snow, Whitby ON
Within 15 minutes I found the Halls Road Barred, who moved to the south path earlier this week.   With visibility so poor, and my assumption that the owl would be closer to the marsh, I almost walked right into him!  He was perched in a bare tree, quite close to eye level and he obviously saw me coming but I sure didn't see him until I felt those piercing brown eyes staring, only a few feet away. 

Barred Owl or Tasmanian Devil?
He was so close that my 150-500 couldn't capture him.  I backed up to give us both some space and watched him hunt.  After 10 minutes he suddenly swivelled his head around, and was off like a shot after something in the evergreens. 

As I was processing my photos I found this one and didn't know what the heck it was, until I saw the shots that followed.  In case you care, when a barred owl shakes snow from his head, his head forms a perfect circle.  Yes...strange things amuse me :)

I also saw a coyote and a fox in the morning, but no pics worth posting.  


This cardinal was extremely bold, asking for food the way a chickadee would.  He followed me everywhere and was so close I couldn't shoot him at 150mm, but he did back away for a minute or two and I was able to get a few shots.

Northern Cardinal, Whitby ON

Eventually I ran into Ann who, how shall I say, was making quite a fashion statement with her new glasses.  Despite her new look, I agreed to hang out with her anyway and we had a great time shooting in South Whitby and Pickering.  A couple of roughies, a few harriers and a very cooperative young Red-Tailed Hawk kept us busy (and cold!) for much of the afternoon.
Red-Tailed Hawk, Whitby ON
Red-Tailed Hawk, Whitby ON
Red-Tailed Hawk Taking Off, Whitby ON

Red-Tailed Hawk Taking Off, Whitby ON

Northern Harrier, Female, Whitby ON
Northern Harrier, Female, Whitby ON

Last but not least, I FINALLY saw some wild turkeys at Halls Rd.  This photo doesn't do the turkey's feathers justice.  Depending on how the sun hits them they change colour, and have an amazing coppery sheen.  Next time you see Ann, ask her how fast a wild turkey can run!


Wild Turkey, Whitby ON
In between shooting I volunteered for a couple of hours at TWC and was asked to take a photo of a fox that is going to be released tomorrow.  It is amazing how beautiful these animals are when they leave the Centre, considering the shape they are in when they arrive.  TWC does amazing work protecting the animals we love.  Check out their site at http://www.torontowildlifecentre.com/.   


Toronto Wildlife Centre patient. 
Little does he know he will be back home where he belongs tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Holy Cow Chris terrific shots. Love the beautiful fox at the end. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol the turkey chase is back. I forgot all about it till i saw your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why didn't you post a picture of Ann's glasses? And who could ever forget Ann being chased by a wild turkey even though nobody saw it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never forget it (or let you forget it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific series of photo's; you gals had a wonderful outing.

    Daniel

    Explore. Dream. Discover.
    http://daniels-view.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete