Saturday, October 3, 2015

Close Encounter of the Best Kind

Just this morning I was thinking how most of my favourite wildlife shots were taken four or five years ago.  I wondered what had changed.  Granted, I'm not getting out as much these days, but I also realized that I used to really work for my wildlife encounters.  Climbing, hiking, biking, hiding in the reeds for hours, while fending of mosquitoes, poison ivy and red ants - and it paid off with some interesting wildlife captures that told a story and always evoke great memories.

So I decided I was getting out today - really getting out - and I did just that.  I went off the beaten path and in doing so saw some of the most beautiful little birds and some great egret/heron activity from a "behind the scenes" vantage point.

I would have been thrilled with just that, but little did I know that my re-engagement with nature was going to pay off in a once-in-a-lifetime way.  While walking through the woods, something caught my eye to my left.  It was large and dark.  A coyote, I thought!  Finally!   I lifted my camera and to my shock I saw this creature lumbering and maneuvering the forest floor in a very un-dog-like fashion. 

It was not a coyote but a young Bald Eagle!  It was hunting in the forest near the shore.  I assume it was taking a break along the migration trail.  I was speechless!

The moment when I first spotted the Eagle.  What a surprise (for both of us!)

I tried to melt myself back into the forest so that I wouldn't spook him.  At first he walked away from me, then turned and sized me up, deciding I was no challenge to him.  He went about his business. 

This was shot while lying on the side of a small cliff so that I was out of his way.
It's been a while since I've done that kind of climbing,- its amazing what you can do when motivated!
I spent the most amazing two hours of my life lying on the forest floor photographing him while he was perched on a tree root.  All of these photos are full frame (at 420 mm), and for once I wished I'd brought a smaller lens so that I could get all of him in the shot.

Warning a little critter that was rustling nearby.

I love the feathers on the back of his head.

Incredible talons.

Nature at its finest.
The lighting conditions were poor, but thanks to high ISO I was happy with many of the shots I got today and know that I will look at them for years to come, remembering the day that I shared the forest with a Bald Eagle.

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic experience you had Chris! You will be on a high for days after that and your captures are just awesome... thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an amazing experience, and it couldn't of happened to a more deserving person.

    ReplyDelete