Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bald Eagle, Barred Owl...and Terrible Tom

The day started off with one of the best possible sightings...a bald eagle! Within 15 minutes of my leaving home no less!  I had pulled over in South Whitby to check a coyote field when suddenly it flew out of the forest and over my car.  The early morning lighting was poor and I was slow to react and only got a blur of a shot, but enough for an ID.

That sure woke me up! I headed over to Cranberry Marsh and saw the Barred Owl, though I can't take credit for the sighting. Two helpful crows found him for me -- I wish I could pay a couple of crows to hang out with me when I go out shooting.  They were harrassing the Barred and I was right in the middle of its flight path - very cool! I love the expressive face of the Barred Owl. Let's just say he was not amused - he was actually frowning. It all happened so fast though that I didn't get any photos of the ambush.

I found a c-c-cold swan at Oshawa Harbour. He wasn't the only one covered in icicles!  And a beautiful Red-Tailed Hawk near Pringle Creek in Whitby.

Chilly Trumpeter Swan, Oshawa Harbour

Red-Tailed Hawk, Whitby ON
Terrible Tom the Turkey is back at Halls and is waiting for his girlfriend Ann, apparently he has a message for her and wants her to head over to see him.

"Ann, where are you? I miss youuuuuu"

Here are a couple more from today.  They were both a challenge for my soon-to-be deceased Sigma 150-500, the lens I love to hate and hate to love (but I do love it).
Black-Capped Chickadee

American Kestral, Whitby ON

No comments:

Post a Comment