Saturday, January 22, 2011

Another Eagle!

First, I would like to announce the sad passing of my Sigma 150-500 lens (cue the violins). This is Sigma the 3rd by the way.  

So I started the day minus 200mm of focal lengh, with my trusty Nikkor 70-300mm and headed to Newcastle Harbour to check on my Trumpeter friend L06, who has been alone since I released him many months ago. That is, if you consider "alone" to be sitting with 300 geese, who were not impressed when he would lumber through the snoozing flock to get a better seat.  He seemed fine and I hope he will find a trumpeter friend soon.
L06 and friends
Among the geese were a few unidentified waterfowl, likely goose hybrids of some sort. They were a lot of fun to watch and very animated.
Unknown Pedigree, but still beautiful
I treated myself to my favourite drive along the waterfront from Newscastle to Port Hope. Best drive you can find in the Durham area and I've had some of my most amazing wildlife moments on that stretch...one time I saw 3 fox and 3 coyote within an hour. No interesting mammals today but the drive didn't disappoint!

I saw several flocks of Snow Buntings and when I turned a narrow corner I was face to face with a beautiful Light-Morph Rough-Legged Hawk - what a stunner! He was perched on a low limb in a small tree and we both shocked each other. The settings on my camera were so dark and I was a little disappointed when I lightened it, but happy I was able to capture the moment.





These Snowbuntings make you realize the importance of every
blade of vegetation.  They feasted on this patch for several minutes.

I saw a few other critters along the way and when I headed back I saw my second bald eagle in as many weekends! I rarely see eagles and I was Gobsmacked when I saw this one. I don't know exactly what Gobsmack means, but I know it fit the occasion.

I had seen the bird from three farm fields away and I knew right off that nothing could be that big in flight and still be so far off.  It could have flown in any direction but actually flew over to me. WOW! I sure could have used that extra 200mm but again, glad I at least got the memory shot.

An American Kestral topped of the day.  It was nice to see one in a tree instead of the corner of a building or a hydro line!
American Kestral looking ferocious, but actually just yawning.

Skylight


4 comments:

  1. boohoo re your lens, Chris, may it RIP. L06 breaks my heart, too, waaaahhhh. Great recap of your day, tho, along with excellent pics as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting outing; thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventure.

    Unfortunate to read and hear of your lens's demise.

    Daniel

    Explore. Dream. Discover.
    http://daniels-view.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a day! Thanks for sharing. Loved your shot of the Rough-Legged Hawk-never seen one. And of course seeing a bald eagle-WOW!
    Keep shooting and Keep sharing!
    ps. Sorry to hear about your lens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing the snow shots sort of makes me happy winter is coming...with a feeling of dread attached. Eagle!

    ReplyDelete