Saturday, November 27, 2010

An unexpected surprise

I seem to have the most success shooting in the worst conditions.  Today was another really windy day, and 5 hours later my hands are still frozen!

But it was worth it, and I didn't need to leave Durham to find these three amazing critters!

Red-Tailed Hawk who didn't clean up after his meal
I was surprised by this Red-Tailed Hawk.  Despite the bare tree, he was well camouflaged and birders were driving right past him.  He allowed me to shoot for quite some time from the car, and eventually flew off when another birder drove up to try his luck.




Next, I saw this cutie.  There weren't many small birds out in this wind but I guess when you can cling onto a tree trunk you must be pretty stable.  I've seen many Rose-Breasted Nuthatches but haven't photographed one so it was quite exciting.  It was not the best light unfortunately.



 But the grand finale was this beautiful Northern Sawwhet Owl.  I had only seen two in the wild until now, and this one was extra special because I didn't know he was there.  I was watching some chickadees and he caught my eye. 

Although this looks like a night/flash shot, it was taken in the afternoon.  The owl was perched in evergreens completely bathed in sunlight, and the lightness of the bird and the shadows in the cedars made exposure really tricky.

He was so cute I wished I could scoop him up and put him in my pocket. 
  
Northern Saw Whet Owl  "Now I see You....."


"Now I Don't"

  Thanks to these three, and a gorgeous Northern Harrier, it was a great day!

1 comment: