Sunday, September 11, 2011

"Friendly", the Great Blue Heron

Meet my friend "Friendly", the Great Blue Heron.  I found him at the marsh not far from where I live.  He was fishing.  Right next to a fisherman!   The fisherman was sitting on a lawn chair and Friendly was right beside him enjoying the day.  I couldn't believe my eyes.

Later on I was sitting no a log hiding in the reeds shooting when suddenly Friendly rounded the corner and stood within 10 feet of me.  He fished some more and was quite curious with what I was doing.  Most of the time he was too close for me to photograph.

Clearly fishermen are throwning him the odd minnow because herons typically are so skittish.  But it was nice to spend a morning with this character!  Hopefully he will stick around for a while.
Balancing Act

Friendly's feet (my favourite shot of all...he was too close to get much else)

No comments:

Post a Comment