Saturday, August 27, 2011

Heron vs Turtle

Another in a series of cool animal adventures today! 

A painted turtle joined several birds who were sitting on a log, his back to a Green Heron.   The Heron took an interest in the turtle and slowly approach him, as if stalking.  "Oh no", I thought.  "This isn't going to end well!".

At best, I expected the turtle to retreat and disappear into the water but instead he slowly turned around and approached the heron, who's giant beak was ready and able to give him a good one!
Smooooch! (click to enlarge)
Instead, they came within about an inch of actually touching "noses" and then both thought better of it and retreated.  I wondered if they were only comparing outfits, since they have very similar colouring!

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool!!! Great timing, to have captured the inter-action between these two individuals.

    I bet you wished (as I) to have 500mm prime. :)

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, even to have my old Sigma 150-500 with me would have made me happy but it was at home. This shot was just out of reach for me at 420mm! I want a do-over!

    ReplyDelete