Saturday, August 27, 2011

Heron vs Gull (vs Fish)

A strange scened played out in front of my eyes on the waterfront in Whitby as I was photographing Cormorants.  These aren't great shots because of the distance but hopefully they tell the story!

A Great Blue Heron, who had been quietly wading on the shore suddenly took off toward the centre of the lake, croaking all the way.

The enemy turned out to be a gull who seemed to have been minding his business sitting quietly.  
The Heron (left) plunged into the water where the Gull had been floating.  I've never seen a Heron out so far in the lake before!

Finally!  I understood what he was after.  That is the biggest fish I've ever seen a Heron catch!  Because of the distance between the Heron's inital wading spot and where the fish was caught, I can only guess that the fish must have jumped and caught the heron's attention.

Just when I thought I'd figured it out, the Heron threw the fish back into the water, and left as quickly as he came!
No sense trying to figure nature out....but it is great to be able to observe encounters like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment