Thursday, July 14, 2011

Marsh Madness

I love marshes. As long as I pack the insect repellent and my patience I'm never disappointed because just when I decide it’s time to pack it in, something wonderful and unexpected makes an appearance.

Earlier this summer I was at Rouge Park Beach watching a mom Red-Winged Blackbird who had successfully rounded up some grub (literally, grub). I figured she had a fledgling nearby so I waited to see if I could catch a glimpse. She was very vocal and I figured she was calling her baby but afterwards realized that she was trying to lure me to follow her (similar to a mama Killdeer when babies are in the area).

I let her lure me and when I got far enough away she flew around me, over a bridge and landed in the marsh! What I hadn’t seen was that she had a nest in the reeds...the smallest Red-Winged Blackbirds I’d ever seen were waiting for their lunch.


Dad feeding hungry nestlings
Very young baby Blackbird

Mom Red-Winged Blackbird with food for her babies. 
Second Marsh in Oshawa is one of my favourite places because it is always teeming with life. My favourite summer bird, the Belted Kingfisher, is a summer resident, in fact there are often 3 or 4 present and often they are engaging in mid-air acrobatics. Night Herons (adult and juvenile), Hummingbirds, Orioles, Beaver, Wood Ducks, Sandpipers, and of course numerous Great Blue Herons are everywhere (to name a few). I’ve never been to a marsh that has more life - expected and unexpected. Last year a juvenile bald eagle flew past me out of nowhere and that was such a thrill. Perhaps the most unexpected visitor is the White Pelican who stops by the marsh every year (I guess that makes him an expected visitor now!).

Belted Kingfisher
Juvenile Night Heron with Wood Ducks

Juvenile Bald Eagle

Pelican who thinks he's a Cormorant!

Unfortunately, water levels this summer are low to non-existent at most marshes. A mom wood duck and her little ones in Kinsale Marsh were half running, half swimming across the marsh bottom, which is typically several inches deep. Turtles are no longer basking and the usually noisy frogs have gone quiet.

We need rain!

Painted Turtles basking at Kinsale Marsh (2010 Summer)

1 comment:

  1. Very nice site report-- I'll have to check it out. Rain might be a while yet...

    ReplyDelete