Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Adventures of "Nest Head"

Every year we have at least one clutch of beautiful baby robins that nest close to our front door.  This year's babies were as adorable as ever.  June 11 was fledge day - lots of excitement from the parents and the little birds! 
The first two fledged earlier that morning.  The last robin, who we nicknamed "nest head" (you'll see why in a minute), was last to go.


Back when I was in the cradle with my siblings.



My last room service meal



It only took about 20 minutes to get my courage...and off I went!.  First flight ever!


What a landing!



Let me in the house - it's scary out here! (Still wearing a piece of his nest)



Where's that son of mine?


Two hours later, "Nest Head" still hasn't completely shaken the nest out of his feathers.

Whew!  Mom and Dad still love me!


"Nest Head's" sibling.
  
No matter where I was in the garden I was greeted by one of the fledglings.

It is such a treat to be able to watch nature unfold like that.  And Robin parents are the best!












No comments:

Post a Comment