Saturday, February 26, 2011

Today's Outing

A saw a few regulars today that I never tire of seeing!  Whitby's most photographed owl once again stopped by for a visit.  He was nice and low and out in the open, giving thrills to photographers who were all very well behaved.  Everyone stayed on the path to give the owl space.

I had been concerned that he was being baited but saw no signs of that today.  He doesn't seem to look at humans as a food source or with any expectation, he is just extremely calm around people.

Apparently there is a second barred in this part of the forest who is skittish but I haven't seen him myself.
Taken from a safe distance away at the 500mm end of my Sigma.
We're so lucky to have this owl with us for such a long time this winter.
I visited a few of the backroads hoping for a coyote sighting but no luck on that front.  Instead, I found 40+ roosting wild turkeys.  Here are a few - I wished I'd brought my 16-85mm to get the whole flock in - it was quite a sight!
I don't know why the sight of turkeys in trees
amuses me so much but it does!
These four deer were in the south field on Lakeridge.  They were quite animated (though not in this shot!)
This Thicksons Woods greeter was at the entrance having breakfast.  I love his "hands"!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderfully captured! In your second image, I swear I have a near identical image or he's adopted that branch and tree; what are the odds of that happening.

    Thanks for sharing your outing.

    Daniel

    Explore. Dream. Discover.
    http://daniels-view.blogspot.com/
    --

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly beautiful shots Chris. You see details in your photos that make them come alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Barred is just stunning. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete