Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Hummingbirds Abound (but not in my backyard)

Over the past few years, and especially this summer, I've focused on making my backyard as friendly as possible for Hummingbirds, and all of the "3Bs" (Birds, Butterflies, and Bees).

Part of it is for selfish reasons - I love them all and when my yard is full of life, I'm in my happy place.  I also feel that we are obligated to create habitat for nature whenever possible, since we take so much away from wildlife with never-ending development that is displacing animals in Durham Region (and everywhere) at an alarming rate.

My yard includes multiple water sources, many "3B" friendly plants, and I'm looking forward to seeing what my newly planted native Ontario seedlings attract next summer when they mature.  Add to that a couple of nectar feeders and I figure my yard should be full of Hummingbirds.  Right?

Nope.

So, I've had to hit the road to find some Hummingbirds to enjoy and photograph.  Here are a few photos taken at a popular Canada Thistle plant that I saw in an industrial area in Whitby. 

I'm still holding out hope that I will get a few of my own...but until then, there are plenty of these beauties around if you know where to look.





No comments:

Post a Comment