Wednesday, November 5, 2014

More from the Red-Tailed Hawk

I have more than enough photos of this hawk, but it isn't every day that I get to spend this much time with one, and have the opportunity to observe and learn from him, so I have to take advantage of it.

I entered the forest with a focus on finding an owl, and when I looked up into what I thought would be a good owl tree, I found myself face to face with this hawk.  What you can't see is that he was standing on his latest meal, an Eastern Grey Squirrel, definitely his food of choice.

We were both equally surprised at this close encounter.  




Here he is, simply astounded at all the good eats in the area.  (not really, this was caught mid-yawn).


































A fierce hunter and a beautiful specimen!  I hope he sticks around a while longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment