Sunday, March 4, 2012

Swan Song

We're lucky to have three beautiful swan species in Southern Ontario, and recently I've been spending time with them at two locations near my house.

To me, the surest sign of spring is the trumpeting mating call of Trumpeter Swans - it is like nothing I've ever heard.  With swans there is a very fine line between love and hate, and at marshes and lakes everywhere this time of year there is constant activity, fluctuating between nasty, aggressive altercations to sweet swan romance.

Trumpeter Swan L02 was chasing after everything from Trumpeters to Canada Geese.

I thought he really disliked one swan but turns out he was "wooing" her!

This time of year, male Mute Swans are often seen in a larger, fluffier posture, which I can only assume is perceived as macho in the swan world.  Amusement park swan rides are often designed in that posture and Trumpeter swans don't do this, so if you see a swan huffing and puffing, it is a Mute.  Below are a couple of Mute Swans - they look quite different than Trumpeters but are equally beautiful.

Foraging Mute Swan

Splish Splash
I thought I'd gotten a decent shot of a Trumpeter in flight last time I visited the marsh and it wasn't until I made it home and got this on screen that I realize it was a Tundra Swan! There are many migrating through this time of year.  They look similar to Trumpeters but are smaller, and most Tundra Swans have yellow markings on their cheeks. 

Tundra Swan
But before you go thinking you've got it all figured out, I've recently learned there are a handful of Trumpeter Swans in Ontario that have similar yellow markings on their cheeks.  This seems to be a genetic trait that can be traced back to a pair at Wye Marsh some years ago.  At first glance the swan below may be confused with a Tundra but it is actually a Trumpeter, Tag #J06, a Tundra wanna-be!

Trumpeter Swan J06 with yellow lores.  There is also a similar swan at Bluffers Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment